Vegan MoFo Day 2: DC Vegan Baking Swap

Once a month, the DC Vegan Baking Swap gathers, usually in a cafe downtown, to exchange treats. I recently started joining in on the fun. A different baking source is selected each month, and October’s book was Quick and Easy Vegan Bake Sale by Carla Kelly. I didn’t have this book yet, so I had to buy it for “research purposes”.

I made the Raspberry Clafouti Tart. I baked a vegan clafoutis recently, and this one was a tad more cakey than custardy, but it was delicious. I actually think the extra flour made it was easier to transport and cut, which is exactly what you want for a bake sale item. The tart raspberries offset the sweet, soft crust very well. I’ll definitely make this again, and also want try the blueberry variation.
Raspberry Clafouti Tart 2

When I arrived (late! Saturday traffic? Really, DC?) There was also a rich chocolate cake with a delicious secret filling covered in ganache.Chocolate Cake

This luscious Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake that I really want to make for the winter holidays.
Sticky Toffee Pudding

Early Grey Tea Muffins, with a nice punch of orange and a very nice crumb.
Earl Grey Muffins

Soft and chewy iced oatmeal raisin cookies, with hints of cinnamon. I could easily have eaten 10 of these.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Fluffy British Scones with homemade clotted cream and black currant jam and currant squares with a lovely shortbread crust. I may have had one of those squares for breakfast this morning.
British Scones and Currant Squares

Sweet potato pie with just enough ancho chili powder to bring out the sweetness, in a pecan crust, which complimented the filling perfectly.Sweet Potato Pie

Rich Date Pecan cookies. This was a great combination, and I loved the deep caramel flavor the dates added to these.
Date Pecan Cookies

We chatted and ate for a few hours, then divided up leftovers before heading out. This wasn’t my take-home plate, but it shows a piece of everything from the swap yesterday.
Full Plate

The Google Group for the event is private, but it is very easy to apply for membership if you are interested in joining. You don’t have to own every book to participate, and it’s a great opportunity to try out a variety of different baked goods. Check out the group on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr if you’re interested in learning more!

See you tomorrow!

Comments
16 Responses to “Vegan MoFo Day 2: DC Vegan Baking Swap”
  1. MeShell says:

I love that idea, a baking swap… that needs to happen here (if it doesn’t already).
    Your Raspberry Clafouti Tart is beautiful (and looks delicious – I bet it was!)

2. Isobelle says:

This is so cool! Everything looks wonderful.

3. Ruthie says:

Wow. Just…. yeah wow. :) I would like that take away plate in my lap right now :)

4. Jojo says:

Vegan baking swap? Amazing! Everything looks delicious.

5. veganlisa says:

Wow! What a fabulous idea.

6. Erin says:

The swap sounds like so much fun! I just bought Quick and Easy Vegan Bake Sale, but I haven’t made anything yet- I think the raspberry clafouti tart looks like the place to start!

7. celine says:

I think I’ve heard of the swap! I would have given anything for a piece of that sweet potato pie.

8. Fanny says:

Oh I might have to arrange a baking swap if I find enough vegans in the area (or people willing to bake vegan things!). Your contribution looks fantastic!

9. panda cookie says:

heh heh. research purposes. Excellent.

10. Whoa my dog. I would really, really like a bite (or two or three) of each of those things, and a whole heaping serving of your tart.

11. A bake swap is such a GREAT idea, my tummy approves :-)

12. Mo says:

You are killing me with that tart, Luciana! A baking swap is the best idea I’ve ever heard. Amazing!

13. Phoenix says:

OMG, all those beautiful, tasty looking things!
    Thanks for reminding me, once again, why that book is on my wishlist. Your tarte looks great. Not long now… 😉

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] find fellow kale lovers, and this blog has also made it onto my reading list. The most recent post shows off a vegan raspberry clafouti made for a vegan bake swap… makes me want to live in DC to share the delicious […]

2. […] find fellow kale lovers, and this blog has also made it onto my reading list. The most recent post shows off a vegan raspberry clafouti made for a vegan bake swap… makes me want to live in DC to share the delicious […]